Updated: Sep 30
As businesses progressively become more complex and a hunger persists for better software & amazing customer experience the need for world class operational resilience grows.
Companies failing their customers with downtime and lost information becomes more frequent and the action of reacting rather than protecting becomes highlighted more and more. Having poor operation resilience is no longer acceptable. When something goes majorly wrong and it happens to companies designed not to fail – consumers feel it most.
Be it losing data to hackers or releasing a software patch which crashes the system – poor resilience strategy means poor customer experience. In a world with more consumer options than ever before getting it wrong is expensive & potentially, a company killer.
Operational resilience requirements are more than just people, process and behaviour, it is a part of fundamental software design, testing, practise, implementation and management.
Operational resilience is both a process and a characteristic of an organization to adapt rapidly to changing environments and needs. It is an organizational trait that allows it to carry out its mission or business despite the presence of operational stress and disruption. With the ever-growing change in speed to release new software experiences to your customers, maintaining highly stringent regulations, security compliance and safeguarding your customers is now priority one. So how is configData a hidden whale in your organisation that is getting ready to rock or capsize the boat.
Well, fundamentally configData is designed to give you freedom. Freedom to configure applications, servers, releases as you see fit when you see the time is right. It gives you the ability to change things on the fly when your customers need it. It lets you push out changes dynamically, automatically and with ease. Dark or Canary deployments to specific user bases or preparing your application for its future.
But…this level of configuration ‘at will’ is also the problem. configData has become in many circumstances a way to avoid process, avoid good practise and avoid testing. It lives, mostly outside the systems of change control and with communication and speed being a driving factor – sometimes getting things done, is perceived more important than doing it right.
configData is an open gap in security. The huge numbers of sensitive information stored in files, not encrypted, not secured, readily available for people to alter, copy, move. Untraceable without big overhauls and potentially causing you SLA breaches, downtime and poor customer experience. configData holds a myriad of information. It can be complex, cross version, cross release, cross infrastructure, cross…well everything. It holds key application details, secrets & credentials, core business information and in many ways is the life blood that links the business to IT to the customer.
ConfigData is not only a security compliance headache, it is lacking prudent validation of its quality. The term ‘Too many cooks in the kitchen’ resonates. With so many different interested key stake holders, all needing their own sets of config in different formats at selective times it is no wonder the proliferation of its content and its location has been so fast. This is a major risk to your customers core product experience and potentially to the changes which infiltrate into production. A silent invasive approach propagating change for the right reasons, but likely damaging you.
SWEAGLE addresses Operational Resilience challenges in the following ways:
- Aligns to give you a better level of operational resilience. Insight into your data lifecycle, the holes in your process, the changes which happen on a daily, hourly basis which if left un-checked might cause you major downtime.
- Brings your developer, testing, release management & support teams together. It gives a seamless management of configData which only raises it’s head when required. It allows teams to collaborate more during releases whilst remaining none invasive.
- Continuously centralises, validates and secures configData throughout your estate. From Dev to ops. From Testing to release. An open, API drive technology stack to remove the risk of configData to your business.
- Secures secrets & sensitivities. Rigorous Role based access on who can see, access and change config whilst accelerating the quality gates and approvals required when real change is needed in real time.
- Gives operations the view of what is Running in their estate. What changed, when, by who. Armed with the tools to confidently find RCA and diagnose issues faster, their source and allow the business to build better methods for improving their process. Often understanding the history and past of a change allows you to build for the future.
Would you like to learn more?